Tuesday 6 March 2012

Canticles That Revitalize Mortal Beings

Songs can attach to people. 
Some are good and some aren't. 
Some can linger in our mind for seemingly no reason, others can hold significant meaning, and we might not even realize it. 

My boyfriend and I were going through some rough things and he sent me the song "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz. It has been playing in my mind over and over since. 
Here are the lyrics. 

When I look into your eyesIt's like watching the night skyOr a beautiful sunriseWell there's so much they holdAnd just like them old starsI see that you've come so farTo be right where you areHow old is your soul?
I won't give up on usEven if the skies get roughI'm giving you all my loveI'm still looking up
And when you're needing your spaceTo do some navigatingI'll be here patiently waitingTo see what you find
'Cause even the stars they burnSome even fall to the earthWe've got a lot to learnGod knows we're worth itNo, i won't give up
I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easilyI'm here to stay and make the difference that i can makeOur differences they do a lot to teach us how to use the tools and giftsWe got yeah we got a lot at stakeAnd in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intendFor us to work we didn't break, we didn't burnWe had to learn, how to bend without the world caving inI had to learn what i got, and what i'm notAnd who i am
I won't give up on usEven if the skies get roughI'm giving you all my loveI'm still looking upI'm still looking up
I won't give up (No I'm not) on us (Giving up)God knows i'm tough (I am tough), he knows (I am loved)We got a lot (We're alive) to learn (We are loved)God knows we're worth it (And we're worth it)
I won't give up on usEven if the skies get roughI'm giving you all my loveI'm still looking up


Jason Mraz is not a Christian artist, but I think that even if a song isn't written by a Christian, it can still hold significant value. Some people think that if a song is written by a non Christian then it holds no worth, I disagree. 

This song to me can be used to describe a man's love for his wife, but also a way to describe God's love for us. It speaks of how even though people wander away, he will be there patiently waiting for her return. 
God feels the same. 
I know that I am not good at consistency, and there are times where I don't even think about God or the Bible. I sin but He is always there when I find my way back to Him.
God never gives up on us. 
He has utmost confidence in us, even though He knows we are going to mess up, fall away from Him, and sin. But He never gives up on us. 
The Bible says it many times. 

Romans 8:38-39
*For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.*


Ephesians 2: 4-8

*But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God*

So even when we sin, fall away from God, and we think all hope is lost and that He is no longer there, He is. 
He waits patiently for us to return to him, so it is our job to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment